Pages

Friday 24 September 2010

Lemon Goo


What has this picture got to do with Lemon Goo?
Absolutely nothing...
To photograph it I have to make it and guess what?
If I make it I will eat it which I don't want to do, especially as this time next week with a bit a luck, I will be swimming in warm seas.

This recipe is donkey's years old and a firm favourite of my son Aaron. Who at the age of seven named it Lemon Goo.

For three years in the middle nineties I cooked for one of the families of our Royals. One Sunday morning I was out of ideas as to what to serve for pudding at lunch time. I was tired and frazzled and guess what popped into my mind... Lemon Goo.
I made a large one for the family and a smaller one for the staff. The roast chicken with all the trimmings was served followed by the delectable, deceptively simple dessert. Battling with the washing up of the pots, pans and paraphernalia of a full-on luncheon (the butlers did all the fine china, silver and crystal - luckily!) who should steam into the kitchen in full cry but the main man saying "We've eaten all our Lemon Goo we want the one made for the staff!"
That day, the staff went without pud!

It made me smile ... Out of the mouths of babes and Royals ... Lemon Goo.

After I left I got a panic phone call from the cook asking for the recipe ...
"Help they're asking for Lemon Goo!"

Here it is:-

2 packets of ginger nuts
4 oz butter
1 tin condensed milk
1 pint cream
5 lemons, juice and rind
*

Whizz the biscuits into crumbs
Melt the butter over a low heat
Combine the crumbs with the melted butter and press into a flan dish. Chill
Juice and finely grate the lemons
Into a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, lemon juice and rind and the cream.
Pour this mixture over the top of the chilled biscuit base and leave to set in the fridge.

Top with slices of caramalised lemon ...
(caramalise sugar in a saucepan and 'shushle' the lemon in the mixture to coat)
Carefully lift them out of the pan onto baking parchment and cool.
Decorate the top and devour!

And to this day I'm sure they still call it ... Lemon Goo.



2 comments:

  1. MMMmmmm sounds yummy. You could always make one on Monday evening........
    for Tuesday???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh er! Sorry but I'm only thinking of our waistlines. And possibly the fact I'm too lazy?

    ReplyDelete